Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Autism and Scrapbooking




If you want a better look at the journaling on the layouts you can see them on 2Peas

Early Intervention

Expressions of Autism


It is interesting to see how everything seems to come together sometimes! I posted my story about my son last week on 2Peas and my blog and I was so pleased by the wonderful responses! In fact I was even invited to share the story on Jen's Digi Scrapping Blog and I will for sure let you know when my feature is available on her great blog!

I have been working on the above layouts to include on Jen's blog and I went to post them tonight at2Peas and found this thread about autism on the digi board


I also received an email last week from a grandmother who was looking for ideas for scrapbooking about her grandson with autism. Here is my answer:

1- Read my post on 2Peas about the importance of scrapbooking

2- Of course you should try to include pages about the individual and not just the autism. Focus on successes as a picture can be a great learning tool for someone with autism. Even if you can't get the typical kind of holiday pictures, just celebrate who they are and include them in your albums.

3- Don't be afraid to include autism in your scrapbooks. It is a big part of your life. There was a time when I was hesitant to scrap about autism. It was sad and overwhelming for me. I wasn't sure what the future would bring. I didn't journal about it much until recently. Time has made it easier. Now I am going back and adding some autism related layouts to my son's albums.


4- Include educational settings, therapies, and other interventions in your layouts. It will be a good timeline and a wonderful lifelong reference for everyone!


Remember that a meaningful scrapbook is an authentic one. No need to pretend that autism doesn't exist for the sake of your album!

Happy Scrapping all of life's experiences!

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Judith-R-Adams said...

My Grandson is a ten year old with autism. I have scrapped his life for five years now and he can tell you what each page is about.Scrapbooking is a wonderful tool to help him express himslf. I let him help by glueing and placing stickers. He loves it and his scrapbook show all the wear and tear of that love.