Wednesday, November 30, 2005

what is a typical day? Self Portrait Tuesday

I am not sure if I have ever had a "typical" day! Each day is very different for me but they are always full! I have never included a schedule or journal entry of a typical day for me in a scrapbook. I think this would be the perfect Self Portrait Tuesday project for this week. November's theme is supposed to be self-identity and I guess a big part of who I am is what I do, so this should work for that theme. There is no way I could do this on a regular basis, but I thought it might be fun for today.

Here is a picture of me from a few weeks ago in my car. I spend A LOT of time in my car! I drove an older jeep cherokee for 6 years and this year I finally gave in and got a mini-van. I resisted for a long time because I only have 2 kids and didn't think I needed all that space (I do!) and I also didn't want to fit the image of the typical mini-van mom. Well, I got over it! I'm glad I did because I love my van.



not a great picture, but one that reflects what I spend a lot of time doing.


Today is a day at home for the most part. I will still make my afternoon journey to pick up my son, but other than that I am trying to get things done around here. I was supposed to be getting my new washer and dryer set today but our salesman didn't update our address on the invoice and they were on the way to deliver it to my old house when they called! At least they will be here tomorrow. We are getting a Bosch Nexxt washer and dryer set and it didn't come cheap! But we had a Bosch dishwasher in our last house and we loved it! Great German engineering and it uses the least amount of water out of any washer out there.

So here's what I have been working on today:

Spent 3 hours working on school newsletter for my son's school. Always takes me longer than I plan on, but it turned out really good. I was sure to make a backup copy since my husband lost his entire hard drive the other day. He hadn't been backing up regularly so it was a good reminder to me. I am usually pretty good about that, but I need some improvement.

My daughter is home today because she goes to year round school and she is "off-track" right now. She watched "Elf" while I worked which is funny because if anyone is like Buddy, it is her! She is full of Christmas spirit and she would be happy to spend her days like Buddy ...I thought maybe we could make ginger bread houses, and eat cookie dough, and go ice skating, and maybe even hold hands... Then she played with play dough and with Barbies that I got for her from downstairs. She wouldn't go downstairs on her own because she thought she saw a mouse. Yep, we have mice! We found another one in a trap on Sunday night and it looks like it had been enjoying the dog food for quite some time because it was a fatty! That makes 4 that have been caught in our basement in the last month. Can't figure out how they are getting in but we live in an area with lots of new construction and I guess they all have taken refuge indoors now that it is cold. Several of my neighbors are also going through rodent issues.

Called and made appointments for both of my children to see the doctor who manages their medications.

Ironed a new table runner from Target that I bought yesterday and arranged pictures and Christmas decorations. I started decorating on Sunday night and I'm determined to have the house back in order by this evening since we are having our home teachers over tonight. I also hung a few pictures to spiffy the place up a little. After staying at my parent's house last week, I've been feeling like our house is a little drab and needed some more decor.

Time for a lunch break. My daughter wanted to have teddy bear picnic on the living room floor. I thought it was a great idea since my kitchen table is piled so high with stuff I am moving around during the holiday decorating extravaganza. We ate lunch and played Guess Who and Guess Where which are two of her favorite games.

Checked my emails and some news sites briefly before heading out to Target. Yes, I love Target and I won't admit here how often I go there! I did find this cool blog the other day called "Slave to Target" which makes me smile.

Target was a bit of a let down today. I went there to get March of the Penguins and all they had was the widescreen edition. I really prefer full screen and I wish they would just include them in the same release. I know they can do it because I have DVDs that have it both ways. So I figured I would pick up Polar Express instead since I missed it last week. Again, only in widescreen! And another issue I have to complain about - Polar Express comes in "regular" and "special edition" just like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory did. Looks like now if you want any extra features you have to fork out a few extra bucks for the "special" edition! I guess the studio wasn't making enough profit off of the DVDs that cost 30 cents to burn. I know, I know... there are other costs, but still it irks me!

Ok, so I'm done with my DVD ranting. Pretty small problem in the grand scheme of things. I bought a bow for a wreath and a few ornaments for my daughter's Christmas tree. I also bought a National Geographic Kids Animal Holidays DVD for only $5.99 for my daughter.

After Target, I went to the bus stop to pick up my son and there had been a major mix up on buses. Went through a bit of panic and cell phone calling (thank goodness I have one!) but it all worked out in the end. Told you I never have a typical day!

Once we arrived home both kids made a mad dash for the mailbox. They seem to both believe that there will be some great mail for them there. I think my son is anxious for his next issue of Mental Floss and/or Disney Adventures. Funny combination right? I don't know what my daughter is expecting. The only mail we did get was junk and some grocery store ads. Pretty disappointing mail day.

Spent some time cleaning the kitchen and trying to figure out what on earth to make for dinner. I still haven't gotten around to grocery shopping yet this week which is very bad since we were out of town most of last week. We are officially in pathetic mode! My daughter watched her new DVD which turned out to be quite cute and educational.

My mom called and I talked to her for about 10 or 15 minutes. I talk to her on the phone almost every day. I'm 36 years old and still a mama's girl I guess, but I'm grateful to have her as my friend. She lives far away but at least with phone and internet we stay connected. She is having surgery tomorrow so I will be worrying about her.

Hubby came home while I was talking to my mom. He pulled out his back this past weekend to he walked in the house crooked style. He's a patient man though because we had frozen pizza again (last of my stash in the freezer) for the umpteenth time! It was all we had though so we made the best of it. Dinner was eaten on a half full table because I never did get all the "stuff" put away. When the home teacher came, the house was pretty clean but I fell short of my goal of being totally finished with the decorating. Oh well.

After sorting through last week's mail (which included a Creating Keepsakes, a Martha Stewart Kids Magazine, hospital bills, and lots of big utility bills) I announced to the family that I needed a few hours to work on the disability week project I am doing for my daughter's school. Hubby played a few rounds of Mario Baseball with the kids and then he put them to bed. That is almost always my job but he was kind enough to fill in for me tonight. Because the kids stayed up playing video games and I was too busy, they didn't get read to. I read out loud to them almost every night - even my son who is an avid reader loves this. I'm a big believer in reading to kids, but with my head surgery a few weeks ago (removal of golf ball size cysts - totally benign!) and our trip to New Mexico for Thanksgiving, I admit that they haven't been read to very much recently. I will have to get back on track!

Kids all tucked in bed and husband tuckered out on the couch meant that I had a few hours of quiet time to get this project done. It took me almost 3 hours because I read the curriculum of Express Diversity and ended up finding some great resources to post on my autism blog. But I got it all done and here is my autism blog post if you want to see what I came up with.

Suddenly it is almost past Tuesday... only 30 more minutes left in the day. I never seem to get it all done, but then that's life. Better get to bed because I'm up at 6 to get everyone going. I am going to have to somehow get stuff put away before 7:30 a.m. because my 2 year old nephew will be here while his mom gets an ultrasound. She is expecting twins in February! Then it is on with another "typical" day!

Have you ever journaled a day in your life? Have you included it in a scrapbook or journal to share? I bet someday it will be of great interest to someone you care about. I challenge you to document your life. Any format will do, just take some time to write about how you spend your time.

Happy journaling!

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Paper Girl said...

Hi,
I'm a first time blogger but love your site. Just one comment on the mice - first get some regular old steel wool - not sos pads - the plain kind and put them all around your pipes under your sinks and around dryer ducts - those little buggers will chew thru most anything but steel wool. Then check your dryer duct and make sure they haven't chewed thru it. If you don't have a flap on the outside you should get one. Lastly since you have small children you might want to get a cat!
Paper Girl