Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Katie's January Roundup

So there are about 8 hours left in January but I'm going to round it up. I can always add something later if anything exciting happens tonight, but I'm hoping for a quiet and uneventful evening.

This is my roundup to share – see entry below. There are some things that I didn’t include here because they are more personal than what I would share on a blog, but I tried to fill out as much as possible so you can get a good idea of what a roundup can do! The cool thing about posting my roundup on my blog is that I can include some fun links for you to explore also so I hope you enjoy them!


Books I read this month:


When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace by John Yokoyama and Joseph Michelli, Ph.D
Even though this is technically a business book, it is something that I believe everyone should read. This is such a wonderful philosophy to live by and the story of this “world famous” Pike Place Fish Market is amazing! My husband read this first and then suggested that I might enjoy it also. We are now working on implementing some of the ideas into our own family life. Seriously, you gotta read this!


Big Picture Scrapbooking by Stacy Julian
– ok, another must read. What are the chances that I would read 2 very powerful and awesome books in the same month? I love Stacy’s view of scrapbooking and hopefully you will notice that the advice she gave in the book had a real impact on me. I had a very good scrap month - see more on that below. The book sold out everywhere and is now in it’s 2nd printing, which is a good sign for a book. The bad news is…I just got you all excited about a book that isn’t available right now! Visit the Simple Scrapbooks site to pre-order it. In the meantime, visit Stacy Julian's site on Big Picture Scrapbooking.

Started re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, thought I would look for some of the clues alluded to in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I’m listening to this on cd in my car to help pass the time while running errands and stuff like that. I love the books, enjoy the movies, but my favorite is listening to them on cd. Jim Dale has got to be one of the most talented voice actors around. He has created voices for more than 400 characters while reading J.K. Rowling’s masterpieces – yes, I think they should be qualified as masterpieces!

The first 18 chapters of Genesis in the Bible. I’m going to try and read the Old Testament this year. I don’t know if I have really ever read the entire Old Testament before so this will be a challenge for me.


Magazines I read this month:


A lot! I cleared through some back issues of scrapbooking magazines. I read and heavily marked the January issue of Scrapbooks Etc. and Creating Keepsakes Top Ten. I also really enjoyed the January issue of Creating Keepsakes,which I thought was one of their best in a long time. I also received a bunch of magazines from my brother and his girlfriend as a Christmas gift so I have probably read about 12 magazines this month!


Movies I watched this month:

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (see my quote blog entry also)

Barbie Fairytopia during a girl’s night party with my daughter. Not my favorite Barbie movie (I actually love Barbie's Princess and the Pauper - really!) but it was about being with my favorite little lady.

National Treasure with my husband and kids. We love to watch this one and it just makes me want to take a big old history trip back to Philly and D.C.!



TV shows I watched this month:


I watched very little TV. I did watch the last 2 DVDs of Friends Season 7 (I had watched the other 2 in December.) I fully intended to get started on season 8,9,& 10 now that I finally own them all, but I never got around to it! I’ve seen them all anyway, but it is my way of relaxing. I could watch them over and over and still laugh.

I watched a couple of episodes of Two and a half men which is pretty racy, but funny. I also watched a couple of re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond which is one of my very favorite shows. Especially loved the one where Ray goes to an awards night without Debra because she wasn’t ready on time.

Special Days celebrated:


New Year’s Day –went to church and took a nap – boring!

Birth of twin nieces. – Sorry no pics or layouts yet, I better check with their momma first. Trust me though, they are cute!

My mom’s birthday. Mailed her a local cookbook for a gift and phoned her a Happy Birthday wish since she doesn’t live close by.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day – taught my kids about Dr. King and gave away a freebie on my blog.

National Compliment Day – this was an amazing day, I felt great all day because I started it off in such a positive manner.


Illnesses or Health Concerns this month:

This has got to be the first January since I’ve had children (or maybe ever) that we haven’t been sick! No one got a cold, the flu or anything! I felt something coming on a couple of times but I took an airborne (I swear this stuff is magic!)and took care of myself and fought it off. This is
Probably the accomplishment I am most proud of this month!

My head is finally healing after my surgery in November and post-op complications in December. I had 2 golf ball sized cysts removed from the top of my head in early November. I had no idea it was going to be that major as no one realized they were even that big! Thankfully they were just benign cysts and nothing more. Turns out I was allergic to the stitches they used and the whole thing got pretty painful and yucky for the past few months. I’m finally on the road to recovery now, even if I have a large bald spot on the back of my head! Haven’t felt like doing a layout about any of this – LOL!


Fun things I did with my friends/family –


Nephew slept over
Visited my new nieces in the NICU
Visited my new nieces when they came home from the hospital
Reading party at school with my daughter
Girl’s night sleep over with my daughter
Helped with Disability week at my daughter’s school
Volunteered twice at my son’s school
Out to lunch 2 times with my husband
Baked and decorated cupcakes with my daughter
Parent teacher conference at my son’s school
Kids took piano lessons
Family dinner at in-laws
Called my roommate from college
Had a board game marathon with my son when he was out of school one day
Played lots of games with the kids. We got some great ones for Christmas that are really fun: In a Pickle, Wig Out, and Rat a Tat Cat are new favorites around here.


Special Purchases:


New bookshelves & table for office
New globes for office
Frames for family pictures of my family
Bought more digi stuff than I will EVER admit to, but hey, it was my Christmas money!


Went to Target at least a dozen times! – I know, it’s a sickness really.


Disappointments:

Didn’t get any layouts published in Simple Scrapbooks Digital 5  What can I say? I submitted what I thought was my best work, but alas, didn’t get picked. At least I tried.

Didn’t get anything done on my autism book!  - Going to change that in February.

Didn’t lose any weight!  Didn’t really try, but doesn’t it seem like it should just come off after the holidays are over and you’re not eating as much? – LOL! :D



Accomplishments

Started to make a dent on organization of downstairs (unfinished and very cold basement!)
Organized 3 new bookshelves in office
Completed 20 scrapbook layouts –all digital
Completed 6 quote cards – all digital
Learned how to make blinkies
Joined Ashley Olson’s creative team
Sent out scrapbook newsletter
Quote blog received scrapability blog of the week award
Craft site directory featured my website
Participated in scraplift blog, Holly’s Dare to Muse me challenge and did several scraplifts from magazines.
Made a mini album for my daughter to keep pictures of her twin cousins in.
Started monthly roundup feature
Between my 3 blogs (scrapbooking, quotes, & autism) I posted 74 blog entries!


I am now backing up all my pictures from January to cd and all my digi kit purchases and layouts to DVD. I have uploaded my pictures to Sony Image Station and to Costco Photo center. I printed out all the layouts I have created this month and put them into albums. I'm still working on clearing off my scrap space downstairs, but remember that it is a cold and unfinished basement! LOL!


It feels great to have all of this done and I'm so happy to have all the above information to use for journaling and layout inspiration.

I wanted to thank everyone who left me comments or emailed me about this roundup idea. I'm so glad that it has inspired others!


Happy Roundup Time!

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

............................................

No comments: