Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Roundup your memories!

There will be 2 posts today. I am going to post my own roundup later today. Read below to find out what I’m talking about!


I’m starting something new this year. If you want to, you can play along. Each month on the last day, I will post my little “Roundup your Memories” banner and remind you to do your own “roundup.” There will also be a link on my sidebar to the roundups that you can visit anytime and look through the past posts relating to this.

What is the “roundup?” Well, it’s my idea for closing out the month. When I worked in customer service at a food brokerage firm, we had to close out the month’s invoices and such so we could finalize the sales numbers for the month and the boss (who happened to be my wonderful Dad) could get the results for how the business did that month.

As I reflected on 2005, I realized that I was having a hard time remembering everything that had happened in the year. I’ve had a hard time keeping a regular journal or even remembering to make notes on a calendar. That is one of the reasons I really wanted to be faithful about blogging. I have decided that I need to sit down at least once a month and do a recap so I can keep track of everything.

This year, I will take time at the end of each month to review my calendar, my pictures, my layouts, and anything else that will help me “roundup” my memories. Then I will make sure I have the details recorded. This will be an enormous help when it comes time to create layouts and add journaling. It is also a wonderful reflection tool and a great way to stay on track with goals and ideas.

As I put together the events of the month, I learned a great deal about myself. I had far more successes than I ever realized. There were some disappointments also, and I included those as well because they are a part of my experience and hopefully I can learn from them.

I’m really excited about this new idea and I hope you will participate along with me and enjoy the ride. So “Giddy Up” and get ready for the January Roundup!


Here are the questions I thought and actions I thought of to include for the January Roundup. This list will probably evolve through the coming months. Feel free to copy and paste it for your own use. (I will post my own January roundup later on today if you want to see how I respond.)


What books and/or magazines did I read this month?

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?

What special days did I celebrate and how?

What illnesses or health concerns did I have in January?

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?

What special or unusual purchases did I make?

What were this month’s disappointments?

What were my accomplishments this month?



Then I am going to be sure that at the end of each month I have done the following tasks:


Pictures:

Backed up all digital pictures to a cd

Back up all digital layouts to a cd

Print out any digital layouts created during the month and put them in albums.
Uploaded all digital pictures to 2 different sites. ( I use Sony Image Station & Costco photo center)

Send email links to online albums to your family or friends who might enjoy them

Get your pictures printed out and put into simple photo sleeve albums. Did you know that only 13 percent of digital photos taken are ever printed out?! What if something happened to your digital files? An article by Brittany Beattie in the January 2006 Creating Keepsakes issue says that 61% of digital camera owners have lost digital images. I accidentally deleted pictures from my son’s 9th birthday!

If you use film, be sure you get all your pictures developed and file your negatives in a safe place. If possible, I would suggest you get a picture cd along with your developing. Digital camera users aren’t the only ones that lose pictures. Somewhere along the line I lost the pictures to my son’s 1st birthday – what a tragedy! He might someday have a complex that 2 of his birthdays have no pictures!

Scrapbooking Supplies:


For digital scrappers:
download, unzip, and file all kits & fonts purchased.
Save a preview image of each kit and keep it in a separate file for easy browsing
Back up all new purchases to cd or dvd in case of computer crash or to maximize
your hard drive space.

For paper scrappers: put away any new purchases. Do you still have stuff in sacks sitting around? I know some of you do! Put it away in an organized system.

For all scrappers:

Look through what you have purchased recently and decide what you want to use. At the first of the month set some goals for scrapping (hint – see my post tomorrow!)

Sort through old supplies that no longer appeal to you. Donate them to a friend who can use them or a charity. My older supplies go to my daughter who happily uses them to create many fun projects. I have also donated some to charity.

Look through what supplies you did use during the month and think about what it is about them that appealed to you. This will help you make smarter purchases in the future.

Clean up your area! Whether that is getting your computer in tip top shape, or clearing off the piles on a table where you can sit and work (guilty as charged here!)


So consider this a little nudge with the old spurs from Katie the Scrapbook Lady. Don’t let this sit unfinished for too long, take a few minutes and write out your answers while the month is still fresh in your mind. You will be so glad that you did!

If you want to get really ambitious, have other family members fill this out (or help them with it) for an even richer memory resource.


Now Giddy Up and Happy Scrapping!



Katie the Scrapbook Lady


visit my quote blog and my autism blog also.

................................................................

4 comments:

RobynL said...

what a great way to summarize the month, while it's still fresh in my mind. thanks :)

AmyK said...

Great idea, Katie! Thanks for the reminders to back up too - now I'm off to do my Roundup. :)

SB said...

Katie...YOU ROCK! Your boundless energy and creativity inspire me (and countles others, I know!)

Tonight is one of my twice weekly nights to scrap/stamp. I am gonna hit it hard and get something done tonight!

THANKS for all that you do and share with us!

Suz

Angie Pedersen said...

Rock on! This is a fabulous resource! I blogged about it here: http://burl.fergcorp.com/angiepedersen.typepad/e4a96

Thanks for sharing this great idea!