Thursday, February 23, 2006

Question #3 - How do I get started with scrapbooking?


I have been wanting to get involved in this hobby for years and have
never found the time to do so. Could you give me
some pointers on exactly how to get started ?


This is by far the most common question I am asked. I'm glad that so many beginning scrapbookers find my site and blog and ask for my advice to get started. That is what inspired me to include a lot of the content that is currently on my website.

I always start by referring scrappers to my web page What you need to get started - I wrote the article a couple of years ago, but it is still applicable today.

I also think that my top ten tips is a helpful resource.

Of course there are many great sites and magazine articles out there that focus on the beginning scrapbooker. Try doing a google search for basic scrapbooking or beginning scrapbooking and you will find some helpful resources.

The key ingredients for getting started are to have supplies & albums (preferably nicer quality with photo-safe, archival stability) and the desire to compile your memories into a meaningful format. I don't think there is much more to it than that. Sure you need time, but not a large chunk. Don't sit and wait until you finally "have time" because I believe that time is not something that really ever sits around to be "had." You have to grab it, usually in small segments where you can and it will build upon itself until you have something as wonderful as a completed scrapbook or photo album.

So I guess I am the Nike spokeswoman of scrapbooking...my motto is "Just Do It!" If you are worried about doing it "wrong" or not liking your end result, just make sure you keep a copy or a negative of your photo so you can use it again if you want. The biggest mistake I have ever made with scrapbooking is over-cropping my pictures too much. Not that I realize how much I like big and mostly uncropped pictures, I am faced with the task of digging out old negatives and starting over on some of them. Other than that, there isn't much you can do "wrong" and if you change your style as you get more into scrapbooking don't worry about it. It is fun to see your creativity evolve and mature. As the great scrapbooker Rhonna Farrer always says: "Enjoy the process!"


My final advice to someone who wants to get serious about scrapbooking? Read this blog each day and subscribe to my free monthly newsletter. (Shameless plug intended) I have been a scrapbooker for more than 20 years so I would love to share what I have learned with you. That is why I am "Katie the Scrapbook Lady." (Don't you think I need a little theme song here?)


Do you have a scrapbooking question you want answered? Send it to me via email at kt@scrapbooklady.org or leave a comment here on my blog at the end of any entry.

Happy Scrapping!

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

..............................................................

No comments: