Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Other blogs I enjoy

First of all - I'm happy to report that Sharyn got in touch with me! She was pretty suprised to open up my blog and find her name there! LOL!

The next order of business is....

Do you like the smilies?
Thumbs Up

or do you not like the smilies?
No

I'm mixed on it. I like them because they break up the text and make the blog entries a little easier to read. I also like them because I want you to know that I am smiling at my many blog readers! This blog makes me happy! I can organize and share my scrapbooking ideas and thoughts, and I have met so many amazing people here!



I am not sure if they are annoying or distracting though to some people so just let me know your thoughts either way ok? I want this to be a blog that is fun and easy to read. Which brings me to today's topic...



I thought it might be fun to share some of my favorite blogs with you. I will try and do this every once in awhile so you can find some other fun blogs to inspire you.

Just promise me that you will still come back to mine, ok? LOL!
Wakka Wakka


I really enjoy Wendy Smedley's blog. She has a knack for finding great links to share and she is also the Creative Editor of Simple Scrapbooks Magazine.


Sophia Corbridge's blog is a recent discovery of mine, I can't even remember how I ran into it to tell you the truth. She does a great job with all her entries and you always leave feeling inspired. I really like her Stuff Portrait idea and I am going to do one of these myself.


Do you ever read someone's blog and think I bet if I knew that person "in real life" (IRL) that we would be friends? That is how I feel about Scraprascal, aka Jenn Olson. I just read her blog and see her amazing layouts online, but I can tell that she is someone I would enjoy hanging out with. She is an amazing photographer! And it was just announced that she is a new Creating Keepsakes Hall of Fame Winner!


Creative Collage and Crafty Girl blogs are both run by the very talented Kelly Angard. I love to see what she is creating and quite frankly, I just envy her amazing talent! There is always something inspiring on her blogs.


Someone who always makes me giggle is Donna Downey. Just look at this picture of her and Cathy Zielske and you will see what I mean! Sometimes it is just nice to see that these extremely talented scrapbook "celebrities" are just as silly as the rest of us!


So what do I look for in a blog? What keeps me coming back for more? The number one reason is content. You have to be saying something that I'm interested in. I also like to see pictures (which just made me realize that this post doesn't have any!) and it is important that the blog is well organized and easy to read. Even the best content just isn't worth squinting for.

Here's some things to avoid:

Bright or dark colored backgrounds. They may be fun, but it is just too hard to read the text.

Lots of text without spacing. There is one blog that I tried to read for a long time because I was really interested in her story, but I finally gave up because even on my bloglines reader it is too hard to read.


I read A LOT of blogs but I enjoy keeping in touch with other scrapbookers. If you have a blog, let me know and I would love to visit!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Hello



Katie the Scrapbook Lady


....................................................

8 comments:

Julie Jewels said...

Hey Katie! I love the smilies! We use them on a message board I'm on and I miss them on my blog! LOL

Thanks for the links to new blogs! Like I needed more to read! I think I have too many as it is! But it is fun to 'meet' more people!

Jenn said...

Awwww...thanks for the shout out, Katie!! I bet we'd be friends, too!! A person can just never have enough, IMHO! :) I, personally, love the smilies!

You've inspired me to start a blog makeover project today! Thanks!

I'm also enjoying browsing the other blogs you pointed-cracking up over Donna and Cathy-that's a good one! Thanks for the inspiration today!

Lily Bleu said...

Thanks for all the links to other cool blogs.

I'd love to have you read mine, but I know my blog is a bit political and locally oriented, which makes my audience more selective. ;) Do take a peek if you haven't already.

Kristin said...

I love the smilies! The blogs I read are basically the same reasons as yours, good content and visually appealing (I think all scrapbookers have that as a high priority on there reasons for reading certain blogs!) I also tend to gravitate towards the blogs that I'm inspired by - seeing them do something and having an "aha" moment or a "i could do that, digitally.." etc

Melissa Ives said...

I love the smilies! Thanks for the tips on a good blog.

Jeannie said...

I love the smilies and totally agree with all your tips.
I, despite having a blog myself yet, love reading blogs and swear by the bloglines service! It frees up your browser's favorites folder !!

The Crafty-Girl™ said...

Katie, Thank you so much for your kind words about my blogs...I have been on deadline but will be getting in touch with you soon!!! Hope all is well...and thanks again...hugs, Kelly

lauren pieterspea said...

i do like the smilies. and i'll be back later today to check on all the blogs you've listed. off to work now! :)