Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ali Edwards day 2

Before I get to the Ali part of this post, I wanted to add a few things to yesterday's entry.

Mouse

If you read my post yesterday, you will know about the layout I posted describing my son's journey. I have to say that the response to this layout has been overwhelming. I'm just touched so deeply by the kind and supportive comments on my post, on this blog, and via e-mail.

My email inbox is bursting right now with messages from people who would like to know more about autism for many different reasons. I am so happy to help in any way I can. I wish that I could take away the pain and struggles that so many are dealing with, but I know I can't. Hopefully, the message of hope I shared in the layout will be of some comfort. There is no cure, but early intervention and specialized therepies do work.

It is so neat to see so much popping up about autism in the digital scrapbooking community right now. Ashley Olson, one of my creative team members, used the prompts from my April edition of an Amazing Month of Memories to inspire her to do this layout about her daughter who has autism. She has given her permission for me to share it here.



You can read more about her layout here.

Kitty 2

There is true power in a scrapbook page, especially one about such an important subject.

Which brings me to another reason why I selected Ali Edwards as the featured artist this week on my blog...

Ali gets it. She teaches others to scrap the important stuff in life. I love her book
"A Designer's eye for scrapbooking." Of course the design principles are wonderful, but I love it even more for the written content. Ali is not afraid to scrap a page about an ex-boyfriend, or use her own personal history to illustrate concepts. She has a knack for making her layouts seem simple, but in reality they are filled with amazing design details.

If you don't already have this book, I highly recommend it.



I've had this book for quite awhile now, but I have renewed my appreciation for it this week while I've been studying Ali's style. I am going to do a few Ali "lifts" that I will share later in the week. For now, I will pull out an older "lift" I did of an Ali Edwards layout. It happens to be another page about my son which seems to fit well with this post.

This is Alex when he was only 8 months old. A very happy baby. We had no idea there would be any words like "Autism" coming in the future at this point and I guess I'm glad we had that time in the beginning. That is something that is different about autism - you don't really know at first. In 1996 it was very rare to have anyone receive a diagnosis before age 3. Now that so much more is understood about the early signs of autism it is possible to diagnose as early as 18 months.

So here's my 2 page Ali Edwards lift of a layout she had published in the Creating Keepsakes Scrapbooking Kids on page 107




Posted on 2Peas in January 2006


More Ali inspiration tomorrow so see you then!

Kitty 3

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

.................................................

No comments: