Saturday, April 22, 2006

Blog of the day!



I feel so honored to have had my blog chosed for "small business blog of the day" by Brian Brown and his wonderful daily Pajama Market blog. It is kind of neat to receive recognition from someone outside of the scrapbooking industry, makes me feel good about my blogging skills.

Roll

I hope you will stop by his blog and read the entry he wrote about me. I also enjoyed looking around and found some very interesting blogs to add to my daily reads - I especially enjoyed the Pitstop Cafe in Singapore.

Brian sent me a list of questions and I thought you might enjoy reading my answers also.

Studying

He asked in his post "So here's my question...has she done a scrapbook about blogging?" He was most likely joking, but I've actually thought about it! LOL! Blogging has changed my life in many ways and I do spend a lot of time and energy on my blog so I really should include it in my scrapbooks. I did do a page about blogging just a week ago if you will recall. You can view it here.

Here are the rest of the questions:


1) How has the blog impacted your company?


I’m not sure I can be called a “company” since it is just me here, the Scrapbook Lady works alone. I have run a website for about 5 years now and I have not always had items for sale. There were times that I wasn’t really sure what direction I wanted to go in, but my blog has really helped clarify that for me. Now that I have an easy way to keep in daily contact with scrapbookers everywhere, it just seems like a natural offshoot to have ideas and patterns to offer them as well. I would say that my blog is the main driving force behind the majority of my sales. My blog readers know that they will find out about my special sale days and new items by checking in with me on a regular basis. I also point them in the direction of a lot of other good deals from other sites as well, and offer a lot of free ideas and information each day.


2) What has the response been from your customers/clients?

Overwhelmingly wonderful. Scrapbookers are a fun and friendly bunch on the whole and I regularly get nice emails and comments thanking me for my efforts and time. While that isn’t why I run my blog, it sure is a nice benefit!


3) What types of things about your work day inspire you to write a post on your blog?

Everything! I’m a scrapbooker after all – I can find enough inspiration from a pair of shoes to create a whole page about them, so blogging comes naturally to me. My “work” is scrapbooking and I love to blog about the creative process, the supplies, and the subject itself. I guess I have found my calling in life, because it doesn’t feel like work to me at all – it is the way I have fun!


4) What have been the biggest surprises with your blog so far?

It would have to be the far reaching impact across the globe – truthfully, I wasn’t expecting that. I have regular readers in Saudi Arabia, Russia, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and I’ve had visitors from all over the world. I would say that about 60% of my readership is from the United States, but the rest comes from other countries. That has truly been a fun surprise for me.


5) What blogging program do you use for the blog? Did you create this blog yourself? How do you like the program?

I use blogger which is a free service from Google. I’ve looked at other blogs that require a monthly fee and they just don’t make sense to me. I already pay a lot each month to run my website and store, so I don’t want to add that extra cost to my expenses. I’ve also been able to figure out how to add enough code to the blogger template to customize my blog the way I like it. I find blogger very easy to work with. Customizing a blog is a lot easier than building a website so I’ve had no trouble at al working the program. I am the sole creator and contributor of both my blog and my website. I do spend a lot of time blogging, but for me it is an enjoyable and rewarding activity. Plus, it gives me lots of great journaling material for my scrapbooks!


I hope you've enjoyed reading about my blogging obsession and I want to thank you all for coming here each day to be a part of my world.

Thank You!

Big Hug

Katie the Scrapbook Lady

........................................................

4 comments:

Jen Caputo said...

Katie,
wow! This is so awesome - congratulations! You definitely deserve it :)

mandy said...

Well done, you know you also have readers in the UK too :)

Brian Brown said...

Thanks again Katie. I just posted a follow-up to the Small Business Blog of the Day that directs our readers to this post for the answers to my questions. Awesome.

-Brian

PROLIX de Normandie said...

Bonjour!

I'm a french artist.

How are you?

PROLIX

{ThE fReNcH tOuCh}
http://prolix.typepad.fr