Monday, May 01, 2006

Katie's April Roundup

Be sure to zip on over to 2Peas - the May free kit is up!


This week my blog theme is organization and I thought that sharing my own roundup with you would be the perfect way to kick off that theme! This monthly roundup has become one of my greatest tools for organization. It helps me take stock of the past month, and also perform tasks that would otherwise build up and become unmanageable.

Cowgirl

If you missed the roundup questions, be sure to read yesterday's post. You can use the prompts in any way you want to help you journal about the past month. Post it on your blog to share with others, or keep it to yourself. Either way, I'm sure you will find this to be a useful tool for organization in your own life!


Here's my April Roundup:


What books and/or magazines did I read this month?


Ali Edwards – A Designer’s Eye for Scrapbooking. I’ve read this before but it has been awhile. I really took the time to study this and even did a week long blog feature on Ali Edwards so I feel as if I learned a lot from Ali and this book during the month of April.

I read a couple of People magazines during doctor and hair appointments this month. I don’t think I learned anything valuable from those! LOL!

I finished a book that I have been working on since March called “Different Minds:Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits by Deidre V. Lovecky. This is not a “page turner” type of book. In fact it was a very difficult read for me because it is such a technical book with lots of case studies. It was interesting and useful for me though.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family by Richard Carlson Ph.D. I've had this little book on my shelf for quite awhile now and I'm not sure what inspired me to finally get it down and read it this month. Glad I did though. Nothing deep or profound in here, but simple stuff that makes you realize you can do things better. I especially liked the advice for letting the phone ring sometimes without answering it (my husband can NOT do this!) and also scheduling some "white space" on your calendar.

My son and I started listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on CD and my daughter and I have been reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Books.

I also read Family Fun magazine. I didn't read any of my scrapbooking magazines this month, I just let them pile up!


What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?


I watched more tv this month than I have in a long time!
I watched several episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond, and Friends.
My husband and I watched 5 episodes of The Apprentice that have been sitting on our TiVo for quite some time. -I had to look away as I added the link for that show because we are not caught up yet so I don't want to know who's been fired!

Also watched Extreme Home Makeover. We loved the episode where Kermit the Frog was the host! The episode where they helped rebuild a Texas town that had been devastated by Hurricane Rita was also really neat. I love the premise of this show.

I took my kids to see Ice Age 2 and we all really enjoyed it. Good movie.

We also went as a family to see The Wild. The kids loved the movie, the grownups just thought it was so-so.

I also watched Barbie Mermaidia and Mulan 2 with my daughter. I liked Mulan 2 better than the Barbie movie.

Also watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with both of my kids.

What special days did I celebrate and how?


Our family had some special days in April, some of which I won’t post about here. We did have an Easter Egg Hunt in our neighborhood and also one at Grandma & Grandpa’s house (Dad’s side.)

Child Basket

We celebrate Easter but we decided to learn about Passover and Lent this month as well. We really want our kids to have a taste of other cultures and religions. This ended up being a neat experience for us.


What illnesses or health concerns did I have in April?


I had my yearly check up in April so I was proud of myself for doing that. Everything checked out nicely. My doctor did want me to get my blood sugar tested and also the routine cholesterol check so I had to spend a day doing blood tests. You can read about the thieves stealing my blood here! LOL! For some reason I was wiped out for almost 2 days from that experience!

Other than that, no illnesses this month. My daughter had a mild bout of hay fever but everyone stayed healthy in April! YAY!


What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?



My husband and son went on an overnight scout camp and so I had a girl’s night at home with my daughter.

We also went to a concert at Temple Square which was nice. Took our kids and my mother-in-law with us and I got to take lots of pictures of flowers on the Temple grounds. Coming to a layout very soon!

Hubby and I got to go on a few dates which was nice. We have found a wonderful respite provider who is perfect for our kids and she came once a week and did fun stuff with the kids while we went out. Awesome!


What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try in April?


Because we learned about Passover, we tried some new foods like falafel, knish, & Matzoh bread. The kids thought the Matzoh bread was going to be a wonderful treat when they looked at it, and they were pretty dissapointed when they tasted it. We all liked the knish & falafel though.

Waiter

I also experimented with making Gnocchi one night - I've always wanted to try it and we generally like Italian food. It wasn't our favorite, but it was interesting to try.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?


We bought a dresser at Target for my daughter's room. She really needed one and it turned out very nice - hubby put it together.



I ordered a few books from amazon.

Other than that I didn't buy a lot this month. I was really good about sticking to the budget which will help because we have a lot of big expenses coming in May!


What were this month’s disappointments?

I did close down my quote blog and my autism blog which may seem like a dissapointment, but I'm actually glad about this decision. I feel more focused and like I have a better vision now - see below.

Oh, and I royally screwed up my hair! Went in for highlights and apparently, the stylist thought that meant she should strip every bit of color out of my hair and leave big chunks of it still dark in the back. It looked so awful - and I'm not exaggerating! My son walked right by me, didn't even know who I was. My daughter screamed when she saw me and my dog growled at me! LOL! I bought a box of Loreal haircolor the next day and added some brown back into my life. It is still pretty light though and I'm really unhappy with it!

Head Banger


What were my accomplishments this month?


I actually feel like April was one of my greatest months of personal accomplishments. During the month of April I:

completely redesigned my website at www.scrapbooklady.org

opened a new online store

created 3 new quote packs and redid my mini album instructions for sale on my site.

wrote the May issue of An Amazing Month of Memories and also created a companion quote pack to go along with it.

designed an April freebie for my site, and also a May freebie that is available now.

completed all of my design team requirements (and then some) for Ashley Olson, Trish Jones and Mindy Terasawa.

entered the Sugar Babe contest, and while I didn’t move on to the next round, I’m happy that I entered.

participated in Scrapbook Bytes weekly Month of Memories challenge that is based on my own Amazing Month of Memories series.

finished 21 digital layouts

and

My blog was picked at Pajama Market's Small Business Blog of the Day and also nominated for a Scrapper's Choice Award.

I feel like I have gained a new clarity in vision for myself. I decided to put away the autism book I have been writing (and stressing about) for years and just focus on being me. I still have a significant amount of autism related information on my website, but I finally let go of feeling like I had to do this book thing. It’s a good feeling.

My autism awareness layout was featured on the Digi Pick of the Day Blog and I had so many wonderful comments and emails about that layout. What a neat experience!

I cleaned out my pantry (which was long overdue) and reorganized my daughter's entire room!

I think it was a pretty good month if I may say so myself!

I'm still working on some of the tasks like getting all my pictures uploaded, but I did get all my layouts printed out today so that feels like a big accomplishment.


I also thought I would post my "by the numbers" stats here:

As of April 30th - I've now had 22,131 blog visitors.

My website has had a total of 319,599 visitors!

My newsletter has 2,974 subscribers.



Next post will be about using the roundup tool to project forward into May - great for goal setting and planning in general.

Thanks for reading my roundup!


Katie the Scrapbook Lady

..........................................................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie. I recently read your "What Not to Say" article. I thank you for your perspective and would like to offer you some feedback from someone on the "don't know how you feel" side of your article. I have a family member with Autism and have often struggled with what to say and what not to say to their parents during diagnosis, treatment, daily life etc. In honesty, I found myself hurt and a little offended by your article. You assume that those of us who don't deal with autism on a daily basis are disingenuous in our words to those who do. You expect so much understanding and education from those without this challenge in their lives and offer little to no understanding towards us. You call people who even in their best intentions may have said something you didn't like hearing "uneducated" and "insensitive". I would suggest you consider that each of us might simply be doing the best we can, being as kind as we can and showing as much compassion as we can in our lives, just as you are. I understand the intent of your article was to educate people, but honestly it just turned me off from offering any sort of verbal support to anyone who is dealing with something I might not have a PHD in. Thank you for listening. I would sign off in some more personal way, but not sure I would “say the right thing”.